By Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (auth.), Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (eds.)
The historical past of computing has its origins on the outset of civilization. As cities and groups developed there has been a necessity for more and more refined calculations. This e-book strains the evolution of computation, from early civilisations 3000 B.C. to the newest key advancements in smooth times.
This beneficial and full of life textual content presents a entire advent to the main subject matters within the historical past of computing, in an easy-to-follow and concise demeanour. It covers the numerous parts and occasions within the box - from the traditional Egyptians via to the current day - and either supplies the reader a flavour of the historical past and stimulates additional learn within the subject.
• excellent for undergraduate classes, it deals many pedagogical positive factors equivalent to chapter-opening key subject matters, bankruptcy introductions, routines, bankruptcy summaries, word list, etc.
• bargains particular info on significant figures in computing, reminiscent of Boole, Babbage, Shannon , Turing and Von Neumann
• features a background of programming languages, together with syntax and semantics
• offers an outline of the historical past of software program engineering
• Discusses the development of synthetic intelligence, with extension to such key disciplines as philosophy, psychology, linguistics, neural networks and cybernetics
• Examines the background of the web revolution, world-wide-web and Dot-Com Bubble
• Follows the evolution of a couple of significant expertise businesses equivalent to IBM, Motorola and Microsoft
Focusing at the basic components within the computing box, this truly written and broad-ranging textual content will trap the eye of the reader and vastly gain machine technology scholars. additionally, it's compatible for self-study, and also will be of curiosity to the extra informal reader.
Dr Gerard O’Regan is a CMMI software program strategy development advisor with study pursuits together with software program caliber and software program technique development; mathematical techniques to software program caliber; and the background of computing. He has released A useful method of software program Quality and Mathematical methods to software program Quality.
Read or Download A Brief History of Computing PDF
Best history_1 books
;Fokker T. VIII [Aircraft Profile 176] КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ Название: Fokker T. VIII Автор: B. van der Klaauw Серия: airplane Profile 176 Издательство: Profile guides Ltd Год издания: 1967 Страниц:12 Формат: PDF в rarЯзык: английский Размер: nine. 02 Мб Для сайта: Мир книгДвухмоторный разведчик, бомбардировщик и торпедоносец Fokker T.
LE COUREUR 1776 КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ Название: LE COUREUR 1776Формат: PDFархив: RARразмер: 88. ninety six MBЯзык: Французскиймонография и чертежи Ссылка для скачивания: ЗЕРКАЛО:letitbit ЗЕРКАЛО:ifolder zero
This quantity identifies and evaluates the connection among outer-space geography and geographic place (astrogeography), and the evolution of present and destiny army area approach.
- Pizza: A Global History (Edible Series Volume 3)
- The Jews of Yemen: Studies in Their History and Culture
- Children's Films: History, Ideology, Pedagogy, Theory (Garland Reference Library of the Humanities, Vol. 2165,)
- V. I. Lenin : Collected Works : Volume 17 : December 1910 - April 1912
Extra resources for A Brief History of Computing
It is only in recent decades that technology has become an integral part of the western world, and the pace of change has been extraordinary. It has led to increases in industrial productivity and potentially allows humans the freedom to engage in more creative and rewarding tasks. This chapter considered the contributions of early civilisations in providing a primitive foundation for what has become computer science. It included a discussion on the Babylonians, the Egyptians, the Greeks and the Romans as well as contributions from Islamic scholars.
He showed that it could play a role in the design of systems used in telephone routing and that conversely that these circuits could solve Boolean algebra problems. Modern electronic computers use the properties of electrical switches to do logic, with high voltage representing the Boolean state “on” and low voltage representing the Boolean state “off”. Boolean algebra is basic to the design of digital computer circuits, and all modern computers use Boolean Logic. Computer microchips contain thousands of tiny electronic switches arranged into logical gates.
26 The Moorish influence includes the construction of various castles (alcazar), fortresses (alcalzaba) and mosques. One of the most striking Islamic sites in Spain is the palace of Alhambra in Granada, and this site represents the zenith of Islamic art. 27 The Catholic Monarchs refer to Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castille who married in 1469. They captured Granada (the last remaining part of Spain controlled by the Moors) in 1492. 28 The origin of the word algorithm is from the name of the Islamic scholar Al-Khwarizmi.
A Brief History of Computing by Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (auth.), Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (eds.)